List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:April 17 2005 6:22pm
Subject:Re: MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3
View as plain text
Mark Sargent wrote:

> Andy Pieters wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Try to see in the log files
>>
>> cat /var/log/mysqld
>>
>> or start the mysql server and then type
>>
>> tail /var/log/messages
>>
>> On Fedora, once you have properly installed mysql there is no need to
>> reboot your system to test it.  Just type /sbin/service mysql start
>> other options you can use there: stop restart
>>
>> I have a MySql server on one of my machines that is running FC3 and I
>> don't even have mysql_safe here.  (Version 3.23.58)
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Hi All,
>
> that's just the problem. It won't start that way. I had already checked
> the logs, but, it only seems to log things after starting, bringing me
> back to zero position, a server that won't start this way. Cheers.

  (It was safe_mysqld in mysql 3.)

> [root@localhost ~]# /sbin/service mysql start
> Can't execute ./bin/mysqld_safe                            [FAILED]

Your error message is right there -- "Can't execute ./bin/mysqld_safe".
  If you look in mysql.server, you'll see

   cd $basedir

   case "$mode" in
     'start')
       # Start daemon

       if test -x $bindir/mysqld_safe
       then
         # ... code to start the server ...
       else
         log_failure_msg "Can't execute $bindir/mysqld_safe"
       fi

Clearly, ./bin/mysqld_safe is failing the -x test.  As you previously
reported that ./mysqld_safe works if you are in mysql's bin directory,
we know that mysqld_safe is executable.  Hence, when mysql.server tries
to run ./bin/mysqld_safe, it must not be in the right directory.  That
is, it has the wrong value for $basedir.  Perhaps you installed mysql
somewhere other than the standard location?

You could edit mysql.server to add an "echo $basedir" right before the
cd, then run it by hand to you can see where the script thinks it should
go.  The fix will probably involve setting the basedir in /etc/my.cnf to
the correct value.

If that's not enough to get you going in the right direction, write back
and let us know.

Michael
Thread
MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3Mark Sargent16 Apr
  • Re: MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3Andy Pieters16 Apr
    • Re: MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3Mark Sargent17 Apr
      • Re: MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3Michael Stassen17 Apr
        • Re: MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3Mark Sargent18 Apr
  • Re: MySQL not starting at boot-Fedora Core 3Gleb Paharenko18 Apr