List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:April 17 2005 5:41pm
Subject:Starting a thread (Was Re: MySQL bottleneck)
View as plain text
valentin_nils@stripped wrote:
> Hi Wiley,

<snip>

> About posting: Just make Sure you create a new Subject line when starting
> a new thread or topic. That should do the trick and nobody gets confused.
>
> I hope that you find this information useful.
>
> Best regards
>
> Nils Valentin
> Tokyo / Japan

Changing the Subject line is not sufficient to start a new thread.  The
key is composing a new message, rather than replying to an existing
message.  When you reply to a message, your mail client should add
headers which enable most mail clients to determine which thread it
belongs to, regardless of subject.  For example, Nils, your message
included the headers

Had you changed the Subject, my mail program would still have included
your message in this thread.  More importantly, the list archiver would
also have done so.  If you search the mysql list archive, you will find
numerous examples of threads which suddenly switch to unrelated
subjects, because someone started a new topic by replying to an
unrelated email and changing the Subject line, rather than starting a
new message.

Michael
Thread
How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJason Martin12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowMartijn Tonies12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowSGreen12 Apr
    • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder15 Apr
    • MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder16 Apr
      • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
        • Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
RE: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJohn Schmidt12 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
    • Starting a thread (Was Re: MySQL bottleneck)Michael Stassen17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckMartijn Tonies17 Apr