List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:valentin_nils Date:April 17 2005 6:55am
Subject:Re: MySQL bottleneck
View as plain text
Hi Wiley,

I am still not sure if we are talking about 360k threats or clients, but I
take your word from the first e-mail.

basically I think its possible to setup a big DB (as Google, Yahoo etc.
have shown already).

About the hardware may I recommend 64 bit Opteron systems and scsi drives
(array).

Performancewise you have many options to stretch MySQLs legs.

- Merge table format (for non transactions)
- Raid options included in MySQL
- Replication
- Cluster Filesystem from MySQL
- A "REAL" Cluster

One thing that surprise me is that you obviously dont use transactions.
Note that your data may corrupt not repairable if you dont take any
precautions.

Anyway, may I suggest 2 books to get you started quickly.

"MySQL Certification study guide" from Paul DuBois
"High Performance MySQL" from Zawodny

You will probably need more info or books later, but that should get you
up to speed within a few weeks.

I trust that you have 2-10 boxes near you to get started and see how well
that system scales.

About posting: Just make Sure you create a new Subject line when starting
a new threat or topic. That should do the trick and nobody gets confused.

I hope that you find this information useful.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan

http://www.be-known-online.com

> So is karma :)
>

>>From: sol beach <sol.beach@stripped>
>>To: B Wiley Snyder <wwwileynet@stripped>
>>Subject: Re: MySQL bottleneck
>>Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:56:08 -0700
>>
>>Incompetence is its own reward.
>>
>>Simply put, 360K is NOT a big number or DB given today's hardware.
>>
>>On 4/16/05, B Wiley Snyder <wwwileynet@stripped> wrote:
>> > Oh wait, I see what happend. I stepped on MY OWN thread. I hate when I
>>do
>> > that ! Sorry

>> many
>> which

>>again.

>>data,
>>need

> 04/11/2005
>>10:38:12

> direction
>> on
> for
>>example
> record
>> is

>>1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10

> today -
>>it's

>>unique,
>>requirement
> list
>> of

> that

>>http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1

How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJason Martin12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowMartijn Tonies12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowSGreen12 Apr
    • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder15 Apr
    • MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder16 Apr
      • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
        • Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
RE: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJohn Schmidt12 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
    • Starting a thread (Was Re: MySQL bottleneck)Michael Stassen17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckMartijn Tonies17 Apr