List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Gifford Date:April 17 2005 1:55am
Subject:Re: zip code search within x miles
View as plain text
Jeff Kolber <jeff.kolber@stripped> writes:

> How are sites doing the search by zip and coming up with results within x
> miles?  Is there some OSS zip code download that has been created for this?

The ones I'm familiar with use this:

    http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html

[...]

> I would be interested, anyone have insights into doing  with Canadian
> Zip Codes or otherwise optimizing a database of Canadian Zip Codes?

I looked into this a few months back (for a very similar project,
actually) and found many places offering Canadian postal code
databases, but none for free.  If you already have the database, I
don't see why optimizing it would be any different than for American
postal codes.

----ScottG.
Thread
zip code search within x milesScott Haneda16 Apr
  • RE: zip code search within x milesgunmuse16 Apr
  • Re: zip code search within x milesRobert Dunlop16 Apr
    • RE: zip code search within x milesScott Johnson19 Apr
  • Re: zip code search within x milesGreg Donald16 Apr
  • Re: zip code search within x milesScott Gifford16 Apr
    • RE: zip code search within x milesgunmuse16 Apr
      • Re: zip code search within x milesJeff Kolber16 Apr
        • Re: zip code search within x milesScott Gifford17 Apr
          • Re: zip code search within x milesJeff Kolber20 Apr
  • Re: zip code search within x milesRichard Lynch19 Apr
    • Re: zip code search within x milesparis lundis19 Apr
      • Re: zip code search within x milesHank19 Apr
    • Re: zip code search within x milesHank19 Apr
      • Re: zip code search within x milesRichard Lynch25 Apr
  • Re: zip code search within x milesEamon Daly19 Apr
    • RE: zip code search within x milesScott Johnson19 Apr
  • Re: zip code search within x milesEamon Daly19 Apr
    • Re: zip code search within x milesHank19 Apr
      • Re: zip code search within x milesKeith Ivey19 Apr
        • Re: zip code search within x milesHank19 Apr
          • Re: zip code search within x milesSGreen19 Apr
            • Re: zip code search within x milesHank19 Apr
              • Re: zip code search within x milesRichard Lynch25 Apr
            • Re: zip code search within x milesJeremy Cole29 Apr
          • Problem detected this morning.Fredrick Bartlett5 Aug
            • Re: Problem detected this morning.Gleb Paharenko7 Aug
        • Re: zip code search within x milesScott Haneda19 Apr
      • Re: zip code search within x milesRichard Lynch25 Apr
        • RE: zip code search within x milesgunmuse25 Apr