List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:B Wiley Snyder Date:April 17 2005 1:43am
Subject:Re: MySQL bottleneck
View as plain text
None taken, I'm sure it's a vague question but I had to start somewhere. I'm
not an expert on anything that large as of today.

>1) Is the data entered once and than mostly read access or is it
>frequently updated ?
It's entered once but mostly(almost ALL 99%) read access.

>2) Do you need transaction support ?
No

>3) Do you need the data to be EASY transferable between different OS
>(MAC/WIN/Unix/Linux) ?
No

>BTW: You posted into somebody elses thread (which is not polite).
>I suggest you think about the above questions and start a new topic again.
How did I do that? I'm using this hotmail account which is acting really
strange to begin with and I've posted any message directly to
mysql@stripped. If that posts to someone else's thread ???? That's
weired, I can't even GET any threads other then my own on this account. I
thought I would actually try filling up MS mail servers with this list
instead of my own but it looks like I only get my own threads and they come
via user email not mysql@stripped so If that happened I appologize
and will be more then happy to just dump this account if it happens this
time.

4> basically the main thing in the application is password authentication
then when the user is authorized their homepage is but from a handfull of
variables from the database.

Sorry to offend if this steps into someones thread, let me know if it does.

Best Regards and thanks for the reply

>From: valentin_nils@stripped
>To: "B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped>
>Subject: Re: MySQL bottleneck
>Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:19:32 -0000 (UTC)
>
>Hello there,
>
>no offence but that questions is not answerable. I wouldnt expect many
>replies. Let me try to help you out by asking YOU a few questions which
>might point you into the correct direction:
>
>1) Is the data entered once and than mostly read access or is it
>frequently updated ?
>
>2) Do you need transaction support ?
>
>3) Do you need the data to be EASY transferable between different OS
>(MAC/WIN/Unix/Linux) ?
>
>BTW: You posted into somebody elses thread (which is not polite).
>I suggest you think about the above questions and start a new topic again.
>
>Best regards
>
>Nils Valentin
>Tokyo / Japan
>
>http://www.be-known-online.com
>

> > Hello there, let's say I have 365,000 users I need to enter their data,
> > pull
> > from it and modify it regularly. Is MySql the way to go ? Or do I need
> > buy an oracle or ms server ?
> >
> > thanks in advance for a clue
> >
> >>From: SGreen@stripped
> >>To: "B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped>
> >>CC: mysql@stripped
> >>Subject: Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a Row
> >>Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:48:54 -0400
> >>
> >>"B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped> wrote on 04/11/2005 10:38:12
> >> PM:

> >>retaining
> >>have
> >>inserted.

>but

> >>FREE!
> >> >

> >>It sounds like you are confusing a data storage requirement (a unique,
> >>non-repeating identifier for every row) with a presentation requirement
> >> (a
> >>neatly numbered list of records). If I need a nicely ordered list of
> >>numbers, I use my programming language to provide it. If I need to
> >>uniquely identify a record, I use the ID.
> >>
> >>When an ID has been issued, it generally stays "used" even if that
>record
> >>no longer exists.
> >>

> >>Shawn Green
> >>Database Administrator
> >>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJason Martin12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowMartijn Tonies12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowSGreen12 Apr
    • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder15 Apr
    • MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder16 Apr
      • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
        • Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
RE: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJohn Schmidt12 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
    • Starting a thread (Was Re: MySQL bottleneck)Michael Stassen17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckMartijn Tonies17 Apr