List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:valentin_nils Date:April 17 2005 1:21am
Subject:Re: MySQL bottleneck
View as plain text
Hello there,

no offence but that questions is not answerable. I wouldnt expect many
replies. Let me try to help you out by asking YOU a few questions which
might point you into the correct direction:

1) Is the data entered once and than mostly read access or is it
frequently updated ?

2) Do you need transaction support ?

3) Do you need the data to be EASY transferable between different OS
(MAC/WIN/Unix/Linux) ?

BTW: You posted into another thread (which is not good).
I suggest you think about the above questions and start a new topic again.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan

http://www.be-known-online.com

> Hello there, let's say I have 365,000 users I need to enter their data,
> pull
> from it and modify it regularly. Is MySql the way to go ? Or do I need to
> buy an oracle or ms server ?
>
> thanks in advance for a clue
>
>>From: SGreen@stripped
>>To: "B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped>
>>CC: mysql@stripped
>>Subject: Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a Row
>>Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:48:54 -0400
>>
>>"B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped> wrote on 04/11/2005 10:38:12
>> PM:
>>
>> > Hello experts,
>> >
>> > I just need someone to please point me in the right direction on
>>retaining
>> > my "key" or id order in my table when I delete a row. So for example I
>>have
>> > 10 rows Id 1-10 that are created automatically when the record is
>>inserted.
>> >
>> > So if I delete record with id 5 my id's are not 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10 but
>> > 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 ???
>> >

>> > thanks

>> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
>>FREE!
>> > http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>> >

>>It sounds like you are confusing a data storage requirement (a unique,
>>non-repeating identifier for every row) with a presentation requirement
>> (a
>>neatly numbered list of records). If I need a nicely ordered list of
>>numbers, I use my programming language to provide it. If I need to
>>uniquely identify a record, I use the ID.
>>
>>When an ID has been issued, it generally stays "used" even if that record
>>no longer exists.
>>

>>Shawn Green
>>Database Administrator
>>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJason Martin12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowMartijn Tonies12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowSGreen12 Apr
    • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder15 Apr
    • MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder16 Apr
      • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
        • Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
RE: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJohn Schmidt12 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
    • Starting a thread (Was Re: MySQL bottleneck)Michael Stassen17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckMartijn Tonies17 Apr