List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 16 2005 10:03pm
Subject:Re: Size of BLOB types?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 16), Dan Bolser said:
> The manual dosn't specify the maximum number of characters in the
>
> TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT data types.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/blob.html

At the top of that page:

  The four TEXT types, TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT,
  correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths
  and storage requirements.

There should probably be a link to
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/string-type-overview.html , which
gives you the exact limits.

> Are these valid synonyms, TINYBLOB, MEDIUMBLOB and LONGBLOB?
>
> I have a field with just under 1000 characters, am I OK with a TINYTEXT?

No, since TINYTEXT is limited to 256 bytes.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
        • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
          • Re: Size of BLOB types?Robert Dunlop16 Apr
      • Re: Size of BLOB types?Hassan Schroeder16 Apr
  • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Nelson17 Apr
    • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser17 Apr