List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hassan Schroeder Date:April 16 2005 9:27pm
Subject:Re: Size of BLOB types?
View as plain text
Dan Bolser wrote:

> FWIW?

For What It's Worth...

> Naturally I followed that link, but was unable to understand (or piece
> together) the information there in.
>
> Storage Requirements for String Types:
> (or maximum length of BLOB types for dummies)

Not exactly -- "storage requirements" include the DB overhead
characters so, for instance, the max *usable* size of

> TINYBLOB   (or TINYTEXT)   = 1+(2^ 8) =        257 characters

is 255 bytes.

> Does that answer my question?

Yep. :-)

For ~1000 characters you'll need a TEXT field.

> I think it does, but I am not sure. Seems strange not to have this
> information at the very begining of the cited page.

I'd have probably put it there in plain English (and numbers) too,
but no one asked me :-)

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan@stripped

                           dream.  code.

Thread
Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
  • Re: Size of BLOB types?Hassan Schroeder16 Apr
    • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
      • Re: Size of BLOB types?Robert Dunlop16 Apr
        • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
          • Re: Size of BLOB types?Robert Dunlop16 Apr
      • Re: Size of BLOB types?Hassan Schroeder16 Apr
  • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Nelson17 Apr
    • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser17 Apr