List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hassan Schroeder Date:April 16 2005 8:36pm
Subject:Re: Size of BLOB types?
View as plain text
Dan Bolser wrote:
> The manual dosn't specify the maximum number of characters in the
>
> TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT data types.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/blob.html
>
> Are these valid synonyms, TINYBLOB, MEDIUMBLOB and LONGBLOB?

The very beginning of the cited page is:

<q>
  A BLOB is a binary large object that can hold a variable amount of
  data. The four BLOB types, TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB,
  differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold.

  See Section 11.5, “Column Type Storage Requirements”.

  The four TEXT types, TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT,
  correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths
  and storage requirements.
</q>

And if you follow that link to Section 11.5, you'll find the size
of all of the above, and the answer to your question:

> I have a field with just under 1000 characters, am I OK with a TINYTEXT?

:: which is "nope" :-)

FWIW!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan@stripped

                           dream.  code.

Thread
Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
  • Re: Size of BLOB types?Hassan Schroeder16 Apr
    • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
      • Re: Size of BLOB types?Robert Dunlop16 Apr
        • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser16 Apr
          • Re: Size of BLOB types?Robert Dunlop16 Apr
      • Re: Size of BLOB types?Hassan Schroeder16 Apr
  • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Nelson17 Apr
    • Re: Size of BLOB types?Dan Bolser17 Apr