List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:B Wiley Snyder Date:April 15 2005 9:48pm
Subject:Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a Row
View as plain text
Thanks, I don't know what I was thinking ?!?

>From: SGreen@stripped
>To: "B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped>
>CC: mysql@stripped
>Subject: Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a Row
>Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:48:54 -0400
>
>"B Wiley Snyder" <wwwileynet@stripped> wrote on 04/11/2005 10:38:12 PM:
>
> > Hello experts,
> >
> > I just need someone to please point me in the right direction on
>retaining
> > my "key" or id order in my table when I delete a row. So for example I
>have
> > 10 rows Id 1-10 that are created automatically when the record is
>inserted.
> >
> > So if I delete record with id 5 my id's are not 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10 but
> > 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 ???
> >

> > thanks

> > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
>FREE!
> >

>It sounds like you are confusing a data storage requirement (a unique,
>non-repeating identifier for every row) with a presentation requirement (a
>neatly numbered list of records). If I need a nicely ordered list of
>numbers, I use my programming language to provide it. If I need to
>uniquely identify a record, I use the ID.
>
>When an ID has been issued, it generally stays "used" even if that record
>no longer exists.
>

>Shawn Green
>Database Administrator
>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJason Martin12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowMartijn Tonies12 Apr
  • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowSGreen12 Apr
    • Re: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowB Wiley Snyder15 Apr
    • MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder16 Apr
      • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
        • Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
RE: How to retain "Key" order when Deleting a RowJohn Schmidt12 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
Re: MySQL bottleneckB Wiley Snyder17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckvalentin_nils17 Apr
    • Starting a thread (Was Re: MySQL bottleneck)Michael Stassen17 Apr
  • Re: MySQL bottleneckMartijn Tonies17 Apr