List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Frank Bax Date:April 15 2005 3:28pm
Subject:Re: Computer reboots during long table join
View as plain text
At 11:21 AM 4/15/05, Ian Gibbons wrote:

>On 15 Apr 2005 at 9:47, mos wrote:
>
> > I'm running MySQL 4.1.10 on XP and I was doing a 2 table equi join join on
> > a date field that was indexed. There are It was taking quite a long
> time so
> > I let it run overnight.  There are 200 million rows in the first table,
> but
> > a Where clause on the second table would have reduced this to around 50
> > million rows. This morning I got in and the computer had rebooted itself
> > sometime during the night. (This is usually not a good sign before the
> > first cup of coffee.<g>)
> >
> > There were no errors in the MySQL.Err log file. Explain said they were
> > using an index for both tables.
> >
> > 1) Can MySQL join two tables of this size?
> > 2) Is there a problem using a Date join? I noticed before doing date joins
> > was extremely slow, even when indexed.
> > 3) Is throwing more RAM at the problem going to help? Is there any way of
> > knowing how much RAM is enough?
>
>Hi,
>
>The first thing to do is turn off that anoying XP *feature* of rebooting
>when there is
>an error - most of the time you don't need it.
>
>I think the option is in My Computer > Properties somewhere.
>
>Mysql may get a chance to print an error message then,  or it will be
>displayed on
>screen.

There is not enough evidence (except circumstantial) in the original post
to blame Mysql for the reboot.  Disabling "System Failure - Automatic
Restart" will still help in problem determination.

Thread
Computer reboots during long table joinmos15 Apr
  • Re: Computer reboots during long table joinIan Gibbons15 Apr
    • RE: Computer reboots during long table joinAndrew Maynes15 Apr
      • RE: Computer reboots during long table joinmos15 Apr
    • Re: Computer reboots during long table joinFrank Bax15 Apr
    • Re: Computer reboots during long table joinmos15 Apr
      • Re: Computer reboots during long table joinAndy Pieters15 Apr
  • Re: Computer reboots during long table joinGleb Paharenko15 Apr