List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Lefevre Date:April 14 2005 2:18am
Subject:Re: weird characters from mysqldump?
View as plain text
Actually, it came from Mysql 4.1.1 (not 4.1.3 as I mentioned earlier).
When I do select queries, the data displays just fine, but when I dump,
I get this garbage.

Jeremy Cole wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
>> I'm trying to export data from mysql 4.1.3 with mysqldump.
>>
>> I'm getting weird characters from the system. Here's what I've
>> discovered
>> so far:
>>
>> ' becomes ^À^Ù, e.g. didn't becomes didnâ^À^Ùt
>>
>> - becomes â^À^Ó, e.g. 1-2 becomes
> 1â^À^Ó2
>>
>> è becomes è, e.g. Entrèe becomes Entrèe
>>
>> What gives?
>

> Looks like an application of the GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out)
> principle to me.  The above data wouldn't have happened to come from a
> Microsoft Office application, would it?
>
> Looks like "Smart Quotes" etc., strikes again, to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy

Thread
weird characters from mysqldump?Steve Lefevre13 Apr
  • Re: weird characters from mysqldump?Dan Nelson13 Apr
  • Re: weird characters from mysqldump?Jeremy Cole13 Apr
    • Re: weird characters from mysqldump?Steve Lefevre14 Apr