List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:April 11 2005 2:10pm
Subject:Re: Display 1st row of every group?
View as plain text
/>I guess that entry is either wrong or misleading./

Ordering by another column which isn't mutually dependent with the
grouping column will have unpredictable results. Is that what you mean
by the example being "wrong or misleading"?

PB

-----

Dan Bolser wrote:

>I guess that entry is either wrong or misleading.
>
>I can get what I want like this
>
>    SELECT *
>      FROM tbl
>INNER JOIN (	  SELECT id, min(bleah) as bleah
>		    FROM tbl
>		GROUP BY id
>		)
>    USING (id,bleah);
>
>Which will work so long as bleah has a unique minimum value per id group.
>
>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Dan Bolser wrote:
>

>>I read with great interest this
>>
>>http://www.artfulsoftware.com/queries.php#4
>>
>>Display 1st row of every group
>>
>>SELECT id
>>

>>FROM tbl
>

>>GROUP BY id
>>HAVING count(*) = 1;
>>
>>I want to use this syntax with an 'order by' like this...
>>
>> SELECT *
>>   FROM tbl
>>GROUP BY id
>> HAVING count(*) = 1
>>ORDER BY bleah;
>>
>>Will this syntax return the row within the "id group" with the smallest
>>value of the bleah column? (is it guaranteed to do so?)
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Dan.

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.5 - Release Date: 4/7/2005
Thread
Display 1st row of every group?Dan Bolser11 Apr
  • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Dan Bolser11 Apr
    • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Peter Brawley11 Apr
      • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Dan Bolser11 Apr
  • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Rhino11 Apr
    • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Dan Bolser11 Apr
      • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Peter Brawley11 Apr
        • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Dan Bolser11 Apr
          • Re: Display 1st row of every group?Peter Brawley11 Apr
            • Analyze TableEmmett Bishop11 Apr