List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nils Valentin Date:April 10 2005 2:20pm
Subject:Recreating primary index on MyIsam table
View as plain text
Hi MySQL fans ;-),

I was just asked recently with the task to recreate a tables index
"gracefully" on a MyIsam table.

This is the table layout:
----
CREATE TABLE `cl` (
  `c_serial` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `cname` tinytext NOT NULL,
  `cl_vals` text NOT NULL,
  `utime` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`c_serial`)
) TYPE=MyISAM
----

So the task is to recreate the current primary key (c_serial),so that the
current index would start with 1,2,3,4,....
Currently the numbers are all over the place. To make this simple (for now)
there are no dependencies to other tables so the order of the index doesnt
really matter, its more for the admins  peace of mind ;-)

I tried the obvious first, removing the column completely and adding the
primary key, which left me with a lot of "0"s - which is not what I had in
mind ;-).

I know this shouldnt be too difficult, but perhaps I am just too long in front
of the screen. ;-)

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan

www.be-known-online.com

Thread
MySQL vs. DB2Rhino9 Apr
  • Re: MySQL vs. DB2Rhino10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL vs. DB2Peter Brawley10 Apr
      • Recreating primary index on MyIsam tableNils Valentin10 Apr
        • Re: Recreating primary index on MyIsam tablePeter Brawley10 Apr
          • Re: Recreating primary index on MyIsam tableNils Valentin10 Apr
            • Re: Recreating primary index on MyIsam tableMichael Stassen11 Apr