List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jon Wagoner Date:April 7 2005 4:29pm
Subject:Out of memory, but plenty of swap space left
View as plain text
Recently I've been getting error 1041 at times, which gives the message
to update the ulimit or add swap space.

This is a dedicated MySQL server, so I have no ulimit set for MySQL.
According to /proc/meminfo I have over 1GB of swap free.
Mem:  2118533120 2067628032 50905088        0 19677184 1659768832
Swap: 1998733312 686882816 1311850496
MemTotal:      2068880 kB
MemFree:         49712 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:         19216 kB
Cached:        1320684 kB
SwapCached:     300184 kB
Active:         943996 kB
Inactive:      1008424 kB
HighTotal:     1179484 kB
HighFree:         2044 kB
LowTotal:       889396 kB
LowFree:         47668 kB
SwapTotal:     1951888 kB
SwapFree:      1281104 kB

The mysqld section of my.cnf contains the following:

log-bin
server-id      = 106
basedir         = /usr
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
language        = /usr/share/mysql/english
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=512M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1G
set-variable    = table_cache=3072
set-variable    = sort_buffer=2M
set-variable    = record_buffer=2M
set-variable    = thread_cache=8
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=8
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable    = thread_stack=128K
set-variable    = open_files_limit=8192
set-variable    = tmp_table_size=50M
max_tmp_tables = 100
innodb_data_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql/
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql/
innodb_log_arch_dir = /var/lib/mysql/
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=384M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

long_query_time=30
query_cache_limit=1M
query_cache_size=64M
query_cache_type=1
max_connections=200

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I'm getting out of memory
errors?  Do I have some of the settings wrong?
If it matters, I have about 50GB worth of data, split between InnoDB and
MyISAM tables.  I last got the error updating records in one of the
MyISAM tables which was about 1MB in size.
Thread
Out of memory, but plenty of swap space leftJon Wagoner7 Apr
  • Re: Out of memory, but plenty of swap space leftGleb Paharenko8 Apr
Re: Out of memory, but plenty of swap space leftHeikki Tuuri8 Apr
RE: Out of memory, but plenty of swap space leftJon Wagoner8 Apr