List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:November 10 1999 12:35am
Subject:What to look for in a mysqld lockup.
View as plain text
>>>>> "Scott" == Scott Hess <scott@stripped> writes:

Scott> We have a machine on which mysqld is locking up under heavy load.  The CPU
Scott> load goes to 100%, split between sys and user (usually, around 75% user and
Scott> 25% system, but there was one with a more even split, about 50/50).  mysqld
Scott> doesn't respond to connections, and there are no errors in the logs.
Scott> mysqld is not doing any disk I/O, the only solution is to kill -9 it, after
Scott> which it runs just fine.  In normal operation it's doing something like 200
Scott> queries/second, with quite a few writes (update/insert/delete) in the mix.

Scott> My next step is going to be to use gdb to attach to the daemon, or
Scott> kill -ABRT to generate a coredump to gdb.  Does anyone have suggestions for
Scott> things to look for?  We're unable to replicate the problem in domestic
Scott> settings, so I'm trying to get my list of items to try in order, so I can
Scott> be in and out quickly.

Scott> FreeBSD3.1, with some FreeBSD3.2 kernel patches (relating to virtual memory
Scott> usage).  MYSQL3.22.15gamma.

Scott> [We're going to upgrade the MYSQL to 3.22.27 next weekend, I don't know
Scott> when we'll be able to upgrade the FreeBSD.]

Scott> Later,
Scott> scott

Hi!

To find out what's going on, you should first recompile MySQL with:

CFLAGS=-g ./configure

or
./configure --with-debug

Then when you have a core, you should do:

info threads

and for each thread do:

thread #
back

Just copy-and-past the output to a file and mail them to me!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Scott Hess9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Richard KHOO9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.sinisa9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Vivek Khera9 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Scott Hess9 Nov
    • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Don Read11 Nov
    • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Michael Widenius28 Nov
  • What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Michael Widenius10 Nov
  • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Rick Moore29 Nov
    • Re: What to look for in a mysqld lockup.Michael Widenius29 Nov