List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:April 2 2005 7:24pm
Subject:Re: [Q] Database design
View as plain text
Eric,

You do not want to encode data in table names. Mainly you want to create
the least redundant set representation of your data, realise that
representation as fixed related tables, then use SQL to fill & query
those tables. Do a little reading and play with a few toy designs before
you start on your own problem.

Two of those Codd's Rules sites have gone away but there are loads of
them on the web, eg it took a few secs to find
  http://www.itworld.com/nl/db_mgr/05072001/
  http://members.aol.com/mbtexts/120.html
and the rules are covered too in
http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch01.pdf.

PB

Eric Gorr wrote:

> Peter Brawley wrote:
>
>> Eric,
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, you propose to encode user and group
>> info as table names. That's a mistake. To use an RDBMS like MySQL
>> effectively, you want to encode your information as rows of data in
>> tables whose names and structures do not vary.
>

> Thank you for your comments. Would this design be better?
>
> ( assume that one of the group names will be 'Group_A' )
>
> Database
>
>   Table_Groups
>     group name
>     # of user columns
>
>   Table_Group_A_users
>     username
>     Column 1 Data
>     Column 2 Data
>     Column N Data
>
> I am still encoding group info into a table name, but I am unsure of
> how to avoid this and not have a table with a lot of wasted space.
>
>> May I suggest you read some of the tutorials listed at
>> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/dbresources.html, and/or read
>> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch01.pdf.
>

> Thank you for the pointers.
>
> Unfortunately, http://www.artfulsoftware.com/dbresources.html seems to
> have a couple of broken links (Codd's Rules)...any idea where this
> information can be found?

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.1 - Release Date: 4/1/2005
Thread
[Q] Database designEric Gorr2 Apr
  • Re: [Q] Database designPeter Brawley2 Apr
    • Re: [Q] Database designEric Gorr2 Apr
      • Re: [Q] Database designPeter Brawley2 Apr
Re: [Q] Database designTom Crimmins2 Apr
  • Re: [Q] Database designEric Gorr2 Apr
RE: [Q] Database designBob)2 Apr
Re: [Q] Database designEric Gorr3 Apr