List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Gorr Date:April 2 2005 6:47pm
Subject:Re: [Q] Database design
View as plain text
Peter Brawley wrote:
> Eric,
> If I understand you correctly, you propose to encode user and group info
> as table names. That's a mistake. To use an RDBMS like MySQL
> effectively, you want to encode your information as rows of data in
> tables whose names and structures do not vary.

Thank you for your comments. Would this design be better?

( assume that one of the group names will be 'Group_A' )

     group name
     # of user columns

     Column 1 Data
     Column 2 Data
     Column N Data

I am still encoding group info into a table name, but I am unsure of how
to avoid this and not have a table with a lot of wasted space.

> May I suggest you read
> some of the tutorials listed at
>, and/or read

Thank you for the pointers.

Unfortunately, seems to
have a couple of broken links (Codd's Rules)...any idea where this
information can be found?

== Eric Gorr ========= ========= ICQ:9293199 ==
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for temporal safety
deserve neither to be safe or free." -- Benjamin Franklin
[Q] Database designEric Gorr2 Apr
  • Re: [Q] Database designPeter Brawley2 Apr
    • Re: [Q] Database designEric Gorr2 Apr
      • Re: [Q] Database designPeter Brawley2 Apr
Re: [Q] Database designTom Crimmins2 Apr
  • Re: [Q] Database designEric Gorr2 Apr
RE: [Q] Database designBob)2 Apr
Re: [Q] Database designEric Gorr3 Apr