List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Gorr Date:April 2 2005 6:47pm
Subject:Re: [Q] Database design
View as plain text
Peter Brawley wrote:
> Eric,
>
> If I understand you correctly, you propose to encode user and group info
> as table names. That's a mistake. To use an RDBMS like MySQL
> effectively, you want to encode your information as rows of data in
> tables whose names and structures do not vary.

Thank you for your comments. Would this design be better?

( assume that one of the group names will be 'Group_A' )

Database

   Table_Groups
     group name
     # of user columns

   Table_Group_A_users
     username
     Column 1 Data
     Column 2 Data
     Column N Data

I am still encoding group info into a table name, but I am unsure of how
to avoid this and not have a table with a lot of wasted space.

> May I suggest you read
> some of the tutorials listed at
> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/dbresources.html, and/or read
> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch01.pdf.

Thank you for the pointers.

Unfortunately, http://www.artfulsoftware.com/dbresources.html seems to
have a couple of broken links (Codd's Rules)...any idea where this
information can be found?

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ==
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for temporal safety