List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pat Ballard Date:March 31 2005 7:39am
Subject:RE: license question
View as plain text
--- Daevid Vincent <daevid@stripped> wrote:
> As my company and I understand it, if you intend on
> distributing mySQL on
> this appliance and the appliance is a sealed box

yes

> with your own proprietary
> code (like PHP or C or Java or whatever) that
> interfaces to the
> STOCK/Untouched RDBMS

It's like this:

my_code <--> stock PHP/Apache <--> stock MySQL

> you NEED a mySQL Commercial
> License.

wowza! :-(

> This license is a ridiculous $600 per unit which
> makes it completely
> unrealistic for any large scale deployment!!!

Well, it means your profit per unit (not counting SQL
expenses) must be significantly higher than $600
Not easy, given the fierce competition in the current
market.

> If someone from mySQL can clarify that would be
> great

I agree that the license is murky. That's why i
actually asked mysql.com a question through "official"
channels. I'm waiting their response.

--
Pat Ballard

license questionPat Ballard31 Mar
  • Re: license questionvalentin_nils31 Mar
  • RE: license questionDaevid Vincent31 Mar
    • RE: license questiongunmuse31 Mar
      • RE: license questionDaevid Vincent31 Mar
      • Re: license questionMichael Satterwhite31 Mar
    • Re: license questionMark Matthews31 Mar
  • Re: license questionGleb Paharenko31 Mar
Re: license questionPat Ballard31 Mar
RE: license questionSST - Adelaide)31 Mar
RE: license questionPat Ballard31 Mar