List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pat Ballard Date:March 31 2005 12:03am
Subject:license question
View as plain text
Suppose i distribute MySQL-4.1 with an appliance,
which is a sealed x86 machine running a Linux
distribution made by another entity (ok, it's Red
Hat). I don't write any code that's directly linked to
MySQL, I'm only using the existing php-mysql, etc.,
packages already provided by the distribution, plus
some third-party apps that are under GPL and link to
MySQL (applications that access MySQL, not written by
me, but are Open Source GPL projects off SourceForge
and other places - i just bundle them with the
appliance).
Any code that I write personally is PHP and sits on
top of the php-mysql module provided by Red Hat.

The end-user has no direct visibility to the database,
in fact, the end-user might never know it's MySQL -
all that is visible is the PHP interface, via Apache.

In this case, what's the license? Is MySQL still free
(under GPL)?

--
Pat Ballard

license questionPat Ballard31 Mar
  • Re: license questionvalentin_nils31 Mar
  • RE: license questionDaevid Vincent31 Mar
    • RE: license questiongunmuse31 Mar
      • RE: license questionDaevid Vincent31 Mar
      • Re: license questionMichael Satterwhite31 Mar
    • Re: license questionMark Matthews31 Mar
  • Re: license questionGleb Paharenko31 Mar
Re: license questionPat Ballard31 Mar
RE: license questionSST - Adelaide)31 Mar
RE: license questionPat Ballard31 Mar