List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:March 30 2005 8:27pm
Subject:Re: power loss scenario
View as plain text
If the power is "yanked" a journaled file system knows exactly what it
was doing at the time of failure, what didn't finish, and can recover
from any errors caused by the failure.
A non-journaled file system would need to run a check to see if
everything is ok. This could take a long time on a big drive.

How could you even tell if something was wrong on a raw partition?
There isn't a whole lot of metadata to check for problems against like
there is in a filesystem. It's up to the application to recover from
errors.

Raw partitions used to be used for performance, not for safety.
Hardware has gotten so fast, that there really is no difference in
performance between a file system and a raw partition. Hardware fails,
software has bugs.

--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect

Thread
power loss scenarioFlorin Andrei30 Mar
  • Re: power loss scenarioBrent Baisley30 Mar
    • Re: power loss scenarioRenato Golin30 Mar
    • Re: power loss scenarioFlorin Andrei30 Mar
      • Re: power loss scenarioBrent Baisley30 Mar