List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:March 30 2005 8:27pm
Subject:Re: power loss scenario
View as plain text
If the power is "yanked" a journaled file system knows exactly what it
was doing at the time of failure, what didn't finish, and can recover
from any errors caused by the failure.
A non-journaled file system would need to run a check to see if
everything is ok. This could take a long time on a big drive.

How could you even tell if something was wrong on a raw partition?
There isn't a whole lot of metadata to check for problems against like
there is in a filesystem. It's up to the application to recover from

Raw partitions used to be used for performance, not for safety.
Hardware has gotten so fast, that there really is no difference in
performance between a file system and a raw partition. Hardware fails,
software has bugs.

On Mar 30, 2005, at 1:09 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Wouldn't raw partitions fail less often if the power is yanked, just
> because there are fewer components to fail?
> I mean, if the database is on top of a FS, it's the database and the
> FS that can fail. On a raw partition, it's just the database.
> Or am i missing something?
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect
Landover Associates, Inc.
p: 212.759.6400/800.759.0577

power loss scenarioFlorin Andrei30 Mar
  • Re: power loss scenarioBrent Baisley30 Mar
    • Re: power loss scenarioRenato Golin30 Mar
    • Re: power loss scenarioFlorin Andrei30 Mar
      • Re: power loss scenarioBrent Baisley30 Mar