List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher Vaughan Date:March 30 2005 3:48pm
Subject:if statement help
View as plain text
I have data in a table listed as
44:22:22
333:33:33
It stands for hhh:mm:ss
I want to break each part of the data into different parts based on the ':' to separate
them.  Then I want to take that data and sum it.  I wrote an if statement to parse
through this table but I can't get it to work.  I am not sure If my syntax is
wrong because I can't find anything to check against it.

Here is the syntax:

IF
(SELECT job_walltime
FROM time
WHERE CHAR_LENGTH( job_walltime ) >=9)
THEN
(SELECT sum( left( job_walltime,  '3'  )  ) hours, sum(mid(  `job_walltime` , 4, 2  )) ,
sum( right( job_walltime,  '2'  )  ) seconds
FROM  `time`)
ELSE
(SELECT sum( left( job_walltime,  '3'  )  ) hours, sum(mid(  `job_walltime` , 3, 2  ) ),
sum( right( job_walltime,  '2'  )  ) seconds
FROM  `time`)
END

I know this isn't the only way to do this but this but this is the first suggestion that
comes to mind.  Any input would be great.

Further info MySQL 3.23.58  running on RedHat 9

-Chris Vaughan

www.clusters.umaine.edu

Thread
if statement helpChristopher Vaughan30 Mar
  • Re: if statement helpDan Bolser30 Mar
  • Re: if statement helpAlec.Cawley30 Mar
RE: if statement helpTom Crimmins30 Mar
RE: if statement helpTom Crimmins30 Mar