List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Reed Date:March 24 2005 7:49pm
Subject:a very tricky string extraction
View as plain text
This is an interesting problem that I hope someone can help me with. I
have a varchar field that contains data like this,

01/01/05 SG Reviewed this
12/15/03 DSD Reviewed that
10/24/02 EWW Worked on that and tested this then stop to do something
else
05/02/01 AW Did something
08/31/98 DSD Tested this
07/22/97 EWW Worked on that and did something

I need a Select statement that returns the Date for the first occurance
of the 'Tested this' substring

So far what I've come up with doesn't quite get what I need and it's
already pretty hairy. I wonder if there's a more elegant way that I'm
unaware of.

Thanks

Thread
a very tricky string extractionEd Reed24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionDan Nelson24 Mar
    • Re: a very tricky string extractionKeith Ivey24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionKeith Ivey24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionJoerg Bruehe24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionSGreen24 Mar
RE: a very tricky string extractionJay Blanchard24 Mar
RE: a very tricky string extractionJay Blanchard24 Mar
Re: a very tricky string extractionEd Reed24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionSGreen24 Mar
Re: a very tricky string extractionEd Reed24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionEamon Daly24 Mar
    • Re: a very tricky string extractionKeith Ivey24 Mar
  • Re: a very tricky string extractionEamon Daly25 Mar
Re: a very tricky string extractionEd Reed24 Mar