List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Sargent Date:March 19 2005 12:38pm
Subject:Re: [MySQL] mysql/snort/webmin/permissions
View as plain text
Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
>> [root@localhost pcre-5.0]# mysql -h mysql -p
>> -bash: mysql: command not found
>

> You don't have mysql in root's path. Once you fix that little problem,
> you should be all set.

Hi All,

heck, how exactly do I do that..? Move the whole mysql dir to a path
dir..? Why is this so, when I followed the install steps from mysql's
site. Hmmmmmm, damn annoying. Cheers.

I followed the below from their install page,

If you run into problems, /please always use *mysqlbug*/ when posting
questions to a MySQL mailing list. Even if the problem isn't a bug,
*mysqlbug* gathers system information that helps others solve your
problem. By not using *mysqlbug*, you lessen the likelihood of getting a
solution to your problem. You can find *mysqlbug* in the |bin| directory
after you unpack the distribution. See Section 1.4.1.3, “How to Report
Bugs or Problems” <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/bug-reports.html>.

The basic commands you must execute to install and use a MySQL binary
distribution are:

shell> groupadd mysql
shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
shell> cd /usr/local
shell> gunzip < /|/path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS|/.tar.gz | tar xvf -
shell> ln -s /|full-path-to-mysql-VERSION-OS|/ mysql
shell> cd mysql
shell> scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
shell> chown -R root  .
shell> chown -R mysql data
shell> chgrp -R mysql .
shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

For versions of MySQL older than 4.0, substitute *bin/safe_mysqld* for
*bin/mysqld_safe* in the final command.

Mark Sargent.

Thread
mysql/snort/webmin/permissionsMark Sargent19 Mar
  • Re: [MySQL] mysql/snort/webmin/permissionsAshley M. Kirchner19 Mar
    • Re: [MySQL] mysql/snort/webmin/permissionsMark Sargent19 Mar
      • Re: [MySQL] mysql/snort/webmin/permissionsMark Sargent21 Mar