List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Gale Date:March 11 2005 7:18am
Subject:Better option then polling ?
View as plain text
Hello,

I am fairly new to mysql and have a strange request .... I am not sure
if "stored procedures" will solve this.

I have a table in a database that is constantly being updated with new
information. I would like to be notified if certain information gets
committed.

Lets say for example the table gets updated every time a login attempt
happens regardless if it is successful or not.

So I want an app to watch the table for incorrect logins and if found to
send an e-mail.

Now there are several problems with this ... first... there could be
hundreds of logins so we do not want the same app to spawn multiple
processes each notifying the same incorrect login attempt.

I was thinking about a cron that would run every X minute searching any
newly added rows and keeping the last row id in a tmp file.

Is there a better way ?

Thanks.

Michael.
Thread
Better option then polling ?Michael Gale11 Mar
  • Re: Better option then polling ?Philippe Poelvoorde11 Mar
  • Re: Better option then polling ?Martijn Tonies11 Mar
  • Re: Better option then polling ?Yves Goergen11 Mar
Re: Better option then polling ?Homam S.A.11 Mar
  • Re: Better option then polling ?Martijn Tonies11 Mar