List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:February 28 2005 10:43pm
Subject:Re: Geologic Time
View as plain text
David,

The earliest possible MySQL date is around 1000CE, so you could not
store geologic dates in MySQL date cols. "Million years before present"
is the geologic time unit that would most likely cohere with other geo
databases, isn't it? Then the Cambrian would show up around 580 mya, the
beginning of recorded human history around .005 mya, &c. A float, double
or decimal col would handle such values.

Peter Brawley
http://www.artfulsoftware.com

-----