List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Blomstrom Date:February 28 2005 7:16pm
Subject:Geologic Time
View as plain text
I'm working on a geologic time database and want to
ask a question about geologic time. Can/should you
apply MySQL's date function to geologic time?

In other words, if I create a field for the number of
years ago a certain geologic period began or ended -
say 260 million years ago - could I designate that
field "Date"?

I'll probably just designate a varchar field and enter
data like this:

Then I can add "million years ago" or "mya" in my PHP
script. Some scientists also use the term BP ("Before
Present," I think).

Another thing I have to deal with is units of
thousands. For example, the Pleistocene Epoch (Ice
Age) ended about 10,000 years ago.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for
dealing with geologic time. Thanks.

Do You Yahoo!?
Geologic TimeDavid Blomstrom28 Feb
  • Re: Geologic TimeGary Richardson28 Feb
    • Re: Geologic TimeDavid Blomstrom1 Mar
  • Re: Geologic TimePeter Brawley28 Feb