List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin A. Burton Date:February 28 2005 5:41pm
Subject:Automatic server-id generation for slaves?
View as plain text
Right now one of the only reasons we can't put our entire config for our
slaves in CVSup is that the config *requires* the ability to set a
server-id for each machine.

Seems like it would be pretty trivial to support a hostname based policy
for this.   You could simply look at the IP/hostname and set the value
from this (though you might need a tracking table).

Policies could include:

- IP based server-id (IPs are 32bit)
- parse the hostname for an ID (db4.server.com would yield a server-id of 4)
- Adler32/SHA1 truncate the hashcode of the hostname

The first two seem sufficient.  This wouldn't be the default of course
and would require an explicit config.

Thoughts?

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Automatic server-id generation for slaves?Kevin A. Burton28 Feb
  • Re: Automatic server-id generation for slaves?Alec.Cawley28 Feb