List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:February 23 2005 2:51pm
Subject:Re: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL Values
View as plain text
> The problem is that I don't want more than one row in the table that has
> a null value in the column.  As you've pointed out in your e-mail,
> there's a difference between NULL and BLANK.  It's not that I don't want
> NULL values, it's that I don't want MORE THAN ONE.

I can easily continue arguing about this ... :-)

NULL is not a value. There's no such thing as a "null value". NULL
is a state. NOT NULL is a state. That's the two possible states
of a column.

Why do you allow NULL, in this case? And what does it mean?

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesTim Gustafson22 Feb
  • Re: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesPaul DuBois22 Feb
RE: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesTim Gustafson23 Feb
  • RE: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesPaul DuBois23 Feb
RE: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesTim Gustafson23 Feb
  • Re: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesMartijn Tonies23 Feb
RE: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesTim Gustafson23 Feb
  • Re: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesMartijn Tonies23 Feb
  • Re: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesHarald Fuchs23 Feb
Re: UNIQUE Key Allowing Duplicate NULL ValuesMartijn Tonies23 Feb