List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ian Meyer Date:February 17 2005 5:21pm
Subject:Re: MySQL and DNS problem
View as plain text
Michael Dykman wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 10:41, Ian Meyer wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>We have a few MySQL servers (4.1.8) running on RedHat ES3. We're having
>>problems when trying to use hostnames in the grant command.
>>
>>Example:
>>create database blah;
>>grant all on blah.* to 'user'@'host' identified by 'xxxx';
>>(also have used the FQDN instead of just host)
>>
>>When trying to connect, it fails with the message:
>>'MySQL Error Number 1045
>>Access denied for user 'user'@'192.168.2.103' (using password: YES'
>>
>>Our DNS servers have correct forward and reverse entries for all of our
>>machines. I read the docs about MySQL and DNS, but I still can't figure
>>this out.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ian
>

> Instead, try determining what the ips the host names resolve to (not the
> other way around)  If you are GRANTing to someone@foo , you want to make
> sure that when the machine 'foo' connects, it is connecting as the same
> ip address the 'foo' resolves to when the server looks it up
>
> for example,
> 	$ host foo
> might translate to foo.domain.com -> 20.20.20.21 [external ip]
> but foo is connecting as 192.168.1.21 [internal ip]
> and Mysql will reject the connection.

This is all internal, so that isn't an issue. See my 2nd or 3rd reply
for additional `host` information for the hosts I'm trying to connect with.

Thread
MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
  • Re: MySQL and DNS problemMichael Dykman17 Feb
    • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
      • Re: MySQL and DNS problemMichael Dykman17 Feb
        • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
  • Re: MySQL and DNS problemJeff Smelser17 Feb
    • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
      • Re: MySQL and DNS problemJeff Smelser17 Feb
        • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
          • Re: MySQL and DNS problemJeff Smelser17 Feb
RE: MySQL and DNS problemTom Crimmins17 Feb
  • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
RE: MySQL and DNS problemTom Crimmins17 Feb
  • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb
RE: MySQL and DNS problemJohn Trammell17 Feb
  • Re: MySQL and DNS problemIan Meyer17 Feb