List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:February 14 2005 9:52pm
Subject:Re: queries slower on InnoDB
View as plain text
Total row count is cached in the header for MyISAM tables. InnoDB has
no such mechanism for this because transactions make it impossible to
keep an exact row count.  In order for InnoDB to get a row count it
has to do a full scan inside a transaction which will take a long
time. One way around this is to maintain row count in another table.

For show table status it's better to only check the tables you need.
Example: show table status like 'my_table'

I'm not aware of any plans to speed up either of these commands on InnoDB.