List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:corradoerina@btopenworld.com Date:January 28 2005 5:23pm
Subject:Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)
View as plain text
Thanks for the extremely useful answer.

Some comments, questions here below.

On Friday 28 Jan 2005 16:38, you wrote:
> No, only the BLOB/TEXT columns need to be moved to MyISAM.

Yes, I thought of doing so. The drawback is that you de-normalise the
database. Is that correct?

There are 2 alternatives we should then consider:
- extract the two important columns, put them in a separate MyISAM table,
index the separate table, operate searches only on the separate table. Like
having a "view", but permanent.
- separate the original table, in two tables (columns which need to be
indexed, columns which do not need to be indexed), operate the search only on
the table with the relevant columns. I do not like it too much, because it
spoils the structure of the database.

From a logical point of view, the former is better. Furthermore, there is
rollback. (By the way, how do you solve the rollback problem?)

The latter consumes less disk space, performance wise is better.

Do you see any other drawback / advantage?

Thread
FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tablessymbulos partners28 Jan
  • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tablesMartijn Tonies28 Jan
    • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)symbulos partners28 Jan
      • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)SGreen28 Jan
        • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)Martijn Tonies28 Jan
        • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)symbulos partners28 Jan
          • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)Sasha Pachev28 Jan
            • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)mos30 Jan
        • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)corradoerina@btopenworld.com28 Jan
      • Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)Nick Arnett28 Jan
Re: FULLTEXT index on InnoDB tables (looking for a workaround)Heikki Tuuri30 Jan