List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:2wsxdr5 Date:January 14 2005 6:18pm
Subject:Re: counting records in 2 tables using 1 query
View as plain text
SGreen@stripped wrote:

> There may be other ways to get at the information you want. What is
> the purpose of your query?

Ok here are the details.  I have a wish list/gift registry site
(thewishzone.com).  I have a table listing all the data on my users.  I
also have a table listing all the gifts my users want.  Finally I have a
table with gift giving events for the users.  What I need to know is how
many events and how many gifts each user has in the database so I can
make certain changes to the content of the main user page on my site.
Right now I just use 2 queries but I would like to do it in one just to
reduce the code some what. I have other uses for similar queries but
this is the main reason.

Chris W

> 2wsxdr5 <2wsxdr5@stripped> wrote on 01/13/2005 01:57:31 PM:
>
> > I have these 2 queries.
> >
> > SELECT count(*) gifts
> > FROM   gift g
> > WHERE g.this and g.that
> >
> > SELECT count(*) events
> > FROM   events e
> > WHERE e.this and e.the other thing
> >
> > is there a way to put these into one query.....
> >
> > SELECT count(g.*) gifts, count(e.*)
> > FROM gift g, event e
> > WHERE . . . .
> >
> > so far nothing seems to be working
> >
> > --
> > Chris W
> >
> > Gift Giving Made Easy
> > Get the gifts you want & give the
> > gifts they want this holiday season
> > http://thewishzone.com
> >
> > "They that can give up essential liberty
> > to obtain a little temporary safety
> > deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> > -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
> >
> > --

Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com

Thread
counting records in 2 tables using 1 query2wsxdr513 Jan
  • Re: counting records in 2 tables using 1 queryPeter Brawley13 Jan
  • Re: counting records in 2 tables using 1 querySGreen13 Jan
    • Re: counting records in 2 tables using 1 query2wsxdr514 Jan
      • Re: counting records in 2 tables using 1 querySGreen14 Jan