List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dave Merrill Date:January 12 2005 9:07pm
Subject:Getting info about db columns
View as plain text
Hi, mysql newb here, coming mostly from ms sql server.

I'm wondering how to find out basic info (type, str length, column name if
getting all cols from a list of tables, etc), about a set of columns from a
number of different tables. I'm also interested in getting a list of the
tables in a db.

SQL Server has a pair of views (information_schema.tables and
information_schema.columns) that were useful for this kind of thing. Since
they're normal views, you can restrict the tables or cols found by table,
column, type, etc, and retrieve only the info you want about them; anything
that works in a std query works here.

The only way I know of to get this kind of metadata from mysql is explain,
which appears to only return a fixed set of info about all the columns in a
single table. Is there any way to get:

- A list of tables in a db
- Column info for more than one table at once
- Only certain info about these cols (name and type only, say)

Thanks,

Dave Merrill

Thread
Getting info about db columnsDave Merrill12 Jan
  • Re: Getting info about db columnsSGreen12 Jan
  • Re: Getting info about db columnsRhino12 Jan
  • Re: Getting info about db columnsPeter Brawley13 Jan
RE: Getting info about db columnsDave Merrill13 Jan