List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Raphael Matthias Krug Date:January 1 2005 10:19pm
Subject:Re: use of soundex in queries
View as plain text
Sasha
> P.S. I have a theory that a habit of printing computer documentation is a
> road block to becoming a "guru". At least, I have not yet encountered a
> "guru" that printed much, while at the same time it seems like a
> struggling user prints a lot. You cannot be 100% sure about the cause and
> effect relationship, though, but trying to go printless might activate
> something that speeds up skill acquisition.

I just printed the soundex-parts. This was ten lines :-). For understanding
my problem, see the text below.

Shawn & Sasha

I am working with medieval sources, so called taxbooks. They contain names,
taxamounts and other administrative entries. For my research I took nine of
these taxbooks. One of my aims is to find out, if many taxpayers died or
moved or simply stayed, e.g. with diseases. For this purpose, I inserted
every taxbook in one table.

To compare the persons in this book, a friend created a php-script/file
which takes from one book the names and compares them with the other books
using right now a normal select-statement. The result is on the left a name
and then as a table for each taxbook a row and if the name appears a 1.

 From a colleague I heard now about soundex. This would make it easier to
compare these odd-writen names (so to say; the same person can appear as
Myer, Mair, Meyer etc.). Therefore I asked how to implement this into a
select-statement. Do you see any better ideas doing this, then with a
php-file? The script right now has the disadvantage, that it does not check,
if the names show up in the order. But I think, this could be fixed with an
additional select-statement in the php-file.

Sorry, it got a bit long. Thanks in advance

Raphael
Thread
use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
    • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
        • doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpjulian haffegee3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpPeter Brawley3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpSebastian Burg3 Jan
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev1 Jan
        • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug1 Jan
          • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev14 Jan
        • Complex joining - multiple tables to oneVille Mattila3 Jan
          • Re: Complex joining - multiple tables to oneSGreen4 Jan
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesKevin A. Burton3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpJay Blanchard3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpTom Crimmins3 Jan