List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:January 1 2005 6:56pm
Subject:Re: use of soundex in queries
View as plain text
Raphael Matthias Krug wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> I printed the manual, but as I am not such a database guru I was not
> able to transfer this knowlegde into an select-statement. Thanks for
> your realtimehelp.
>
> Is it possible to do an select-query with soundex like the following
> examble?
>
> select nn from table where nn !=''
> my database has the field name (nn), I need to select every
> namefield, which is not empty. So soundex should give me an result
> with a list of names. How to do?
>
> Thanks
> Raphael
>
> Am 31 Dec 2004 um 11:00 hat SGreen@stripped geschrieben:
>

>>Did you think to check the manual?
>>
>>English:
>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/String_functions.html
>>
>>German
>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/de/String_functions.html
>>
>>French:
>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/fr/String_functions.html
>>
>>and your query would look like
>>
>>SELECT ...
>>FROM ...
>>WHERE SOUNDEX(field1) = SOUNDEX(field2)
>>
>>because you want to compare the "sound"of both fields to see if they
>>are nearly the same.
>>
>>Shawn Green
>>Database Administrator
>>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
>>
>>"Raphael Matthias Krug" <r.krug@stripped>wrote on 12/31/2004
>>10:46:06 AM:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I need to compare names from different tables and therefore I need
>>>to know the proper use of soundex. I googled for it, but could not
>>
>>find
>>
>>>anything useful. And select soundex('text') is no help for me.
>>>
>>>The query should look like this:
>>>select field from table where field like [soundexquery inserted]
>>>
>>>As result there should be a list with the names. The comparison of
>>>the table can also be done with php, so mainly it would be great to
>>>know how to do resultqueries as described.
>>>
>>>Thanks for help! Happy new year
>>>
>>>Raphael

Raphael:

I am not sure I am quite understanding what you are trying to do, but from what
I've read it looks like you want to query the names of the fields rather than
their values. MySQL does not store field names in tables, and this makes
impossible to use any SQL functions on field names, only on the values they contain.

The best way to acccomplish this is to programmatically (eg. from PHP) execute
SHOW FIELDS FROM tbl_name, and then post-process the output.

P.S. I have a theory that a habit of printing computer documentation is a road
block to becoming a "guru". At least, I have not yet encountered a "guru" that
printed much, while at the same time it seems like a struggling user prints a
lot. You cannot be 100% sure about the cause and effect relationship, though,
but trying to go printless might activate something that speeds up skill
acquisition.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/
Thread
use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
    • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
        • doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpjulian haffegee3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpPeter Brawley3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpSebastian Burg3 Jan
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev1 Jan
        • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug1 Jan
          • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev14 Jan
        • Complex joining - multiple tables to oneVille Mattila3 Jan
          • Re: Complex joining - multiple tables to oneSGreen4 Jan
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesKevin A. Burton3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpJay Blanchard3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpTom Crimmins3 Jan