List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:December 31 2004 6:35pm
Subject:Re: use of soundex in queries
View as plain text
This will give you a list of names and their soundex values. Is this what
you want? What is it you are trying to do, there may be a better way to do
this than by getting a list and reprocessing it somehow.

SELECT nn, soundex(nn)
FROM table
WHERE nn > ''

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Raphael Matthias Krug" <r.krug@stripped> wrote on 12/31/2004 12:42:30
PM:

> Hi Shawn,
>
> I printed the manual, but as I am not such a database guru I was not
> able to transfer this knowlegde into an select-statement. Thanks for
> your realtimehelp.
>
> Is it possible to do an select-query with soundex like the following
> examble?
>
> select nn from table where nn !=''
> my database has the field name (nn), I need to select every
> namefield, which is not empty. So soundex should give me an result
> with a list of names. How to do?
>
> Thanks
> Raphael
>
> Am 31 Dec 2004 um 11:00 hat SGreen@stripped geschrieben:
>

> > Did you think to check the manual?
> >
> > English:
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/String_functions.html
> >
> > German
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/de/String_functions.html
> >
> > French:
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/fr/String_functions.html
> >
> > and your query would look like
> >
> > SELECT ...
> > FROM ...
> > WHERE SOUNDEX(field1) = SOUNDEX(field2)
> >
> > because you want to compare the "sound"of both fields to see if they
> > are nearly the same.
> >
> > Shawn Green
> > Database Administrator
> > Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
> >
> > "Raphael Matthias Krug" <r.krug@stripped>wrote on 12/31/2004
> > 10:46:06 AM:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to compare names from different tables and therefore I need
> > > to know the proper use of soundex. I googled for it, but could not
> > find
> > > anything useful. And select soundex('text') is no help for me.
> > >
> > > The query should look like this:
> > > select field from table where field like [soundexquery inserted]
> > >
> > > As result there should be a list with the names. The comparison of
> > > the table can also be done with php, so mainly it would be great to
> > > know how to do resultqueries as described.
> > >
> > > Thanks for help! Happy new year
> > >
> > > Raphael
> > >
> > > --
> > http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1

Thread
use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
    • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
        • doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpjulian haffegee3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpPeter Brawley3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpSebastian Burg3 Jan
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev1 Jan
        • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug1 Jan
          • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev14 Jan
        • Complex joining - multiple tables to oneVille Mattila3 Jan
          • Re: Complex joining - multiple tables to oneSGreen4 Jan
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesKevin A. Burton3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpJay Blanchard3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpTom Crimmins3 Jan