List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Raphael Matthias Krug Date:December 31 2004 5:42pm
Subject:Re: use of soundex in queries
View as plain text
Hi Shawn,

I printed the manual, but as I am not such a database guru I was not
able to transfer this knowlegde into an select-statement. Thanks for
your realtimehelp.

Is it possible to do an select-query with soundex like the following
examble?

select nn from table where nn !=''
my database has the field name (nn), I need to select every
namefield, which is not empty. So soundex should give me an result
with a list of names. How to do?

Thanks
Raphael

Am 31 Dec 2004 um 11:00 hat SGreen@stripped geschrieben:

> Did you think to check the manual?
>
> English:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/String_functions.html
>
> German
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/de/String_functions.html
>
> French:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/fr/String_functions.html
>
> and your query would look like
>
> SELECT ...
> FROM ...
> WHERE SOUNDEX(field1) = SOUNDEX(field2)
>
> because you want to compare the "sound"of both fields to see if they
> are nearly the same.
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
>
> "Raphael Matthias Krug" <r.krug@stripped>wrote on 12/31/2004
> 10:46:06 AM:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to compare names from different tables and therefore I need
> > to know the proper use of soundex. I googled for it, but could not
> find
> > anything useful. And select soundex('text') is no help for me.
> >
> > The query should look like this:
> > select field from table where field like [soundexquery inserted]
> >
> > As result there should be a list with the names. The comparison of
> > the table can also be done with php, so mainly it would be great to
> > know how to do resultqueries as described.
> >
> > Thanks for help! Happy new year
> >
> > Raphael
> >
> > --
> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1

Thread
use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
    • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
        • doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpjulian haffegee3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpPeter Brawley3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpSebastian Burg3 Jan
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev1 Jan
        • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug1 Jan
          • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev14 Jan
        • Complex joining - multiple tables to oneVille Mattila3 Jan
          • Re: Complex joining - multiple tables to oneSGreen4 Jan
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesKevin A. Burton3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpJay Blanchard3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpTom Crimmins3 Jan