List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:December 31 2004 4:00pm
Subject:Re: use of soundex in queries
View as plain text
Did you think to check the manual?

English:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/String_functions.html

German
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/de/String_functions.html

French:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/fr/String_functions.html

and your query would look like

SELECT ...
FROM ...
WHERE SOUNDEX(field1) = SOUNDEX(field2)

because you want to compare the "sound" of both fields to see if they are
nearly the same.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Raphael Matthias Krug" <r.krug@stripped> wrote on 12/31/2004 10:46:06
AM:

> Hi,
>
> I need to compare names from different tables and therefore I need
> to know the proper use of soundex. I googled for it, but could not find
> anything useful. And select soundex('text') is no help for me.
>
> The query should look like this:
> select field from table where field like [soundexquery inserted]
>
> As result there should be a list with the names. The comparison of
> the table can also be done with php, so mainly it would be great to
> know how to do resultqueries as described.
>
> Thanks for help! Happy new year
>
> Raphael

use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
    • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug31 Dec
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSGreen31 Dec
        • doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpjulian haffegee3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpPeter Brawley3 Jan
          • Re: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpSebastian Burg3 Jan
      • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev1 Jan
        • Re: use of soundex in queriesRaphael Matthias Krug1 Jan
          • Re: use of soundex in queriesSasha Pachev14 Jan
        • Complex joining - multiple tables to oneVille Mattila3 Jan
          • Re: Complex joining - multiple tables to oneSGreen4 Jan
  • Re: use of soundex in queriesKevin A. Burton3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpJay Blanchard3 Jan
RE: doing SELECTS and keeping the array intact with phpTom Crimmins3 Jan