List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:April 13 1999 3:28pm
Subject:Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?
View as plain text
> When you give performance statistics, is it fair or honest to compare an
> SQL database running on NT with one running on LINUX?
> (or indeed ANY UNIX)

With respect to Fred's comments, IMO it's not, because you are, in a real
sense, comparing apples to oranges.  One of the biggest problems with NT is
that it's got this huge, slow, clunky (but pretty) GUI not only bolted onto
the OS, but inextricably wedded to it.  The GUI has its massive tentacles
all through NT, so it's impossible to get rid of it, like you can with Linux
or other UNIX OS's.  So, whenever you do anything, you're not only running
the program itself, but also the GUI, which takes up a massive amount of
resources.  So, on equivalent hardware, a non-GUI OS is almost always going
to run rings around an OS with a GUI that you can't get rid of.  The only
real way to get around this (at least partially) is to take that pretty GUI
and shove it where it belongs - onto the display card firmware.  Why someone
hasn't done this years ago is beyond me.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG - erc@stripped - 9403672744@stripped for URGENT
messages only!

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path
whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless,
unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized;
nor should any organisation be formed to lead or to coerce people along any
particular path."  --J. Krishnamurti

Thread
Above-board and beyond reproach?Brian Timmins12 Apr
  • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Vivek Khera12 Apr
  • Above-board and beyond reproach?Michael Widenius13 Apr
  • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Fred Lindberg12 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?luuk12 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Christopher R. Jones12 Apr