List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Don Date:December 23 2004 5:22pm
Subject:How to change root password - getting error
View as plain text
Hi,

I am trying to change my root password for mysql 4.1.7 running on Linux (as
I forgot it) using the docs found at:
HYPERLINK
"http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Resetting_permissions.html"http://dev.mys
ql.com/doc/mysql/en/Resetting_permissions.html

When I get to the step:
shell> mysqladmin -u root flush-privileges password "newpwd"

I get the error:

mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'Can't find any matching row
in the user table'

I think my user table is screwed up but how can I get in to fix it???

Worst case, do I just uninstall and reinstall mysql?

Thanks,
Don

---