List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ney André de Mello Zunino Date:December 23 2004 12:11am
Subject:MySQL inadvertently messing with the path in the Windows' registry?
View as plain text
Hello.

After installing the latest GA (Generally Available) version, 4.1.8, of
the MySQL Server [1] on my Windows XP SP2 system, I noticed something
strange with the PATH environment variable. Upon opening a command
prompt window, I could not directly execute any of the usual
applications (ipconfig, net, etc.) which reside in the Windows'
subdirectories. Examining the environment variables, I noticed that the
special value %SystemRoot% was not being expanded to "C:\Windows" as it
used to.

Some googling revealed that this usually happens when some application
inadvertently (or not) changes the type of the value "Path" under the
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment in the registry, from REG_EXPAND_SZ to REG_SZ. When
this happens, the system does not expand the special values in the
string and thus, path entries using them no longer work.

I write to ask whether anybody else has also noticed this behavior on
their systems, as I am still not completely sure it is caused by MySQL.
I will post again, if I find any conclusive evidence.

[1]
http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-4.1/mysql-4.1.8-essential-win.msi/from/pick

Ney André de Mello Zunino

Thread
MySQL inadvertently messing with the path in the Windows' registry?Ney André de Mello Zunino23 Dec
  • Re: MySQL inadvertently messing with the path in the Windows' registry?Ney André de Mello Zunino23 Dec
    • Re: MySQL inadvertently messing with the path in the Windows' registry?Jeff Smelser23 Dec
      • Re: MySQL inadvertently messing with the path in the Windows' registry?Ney André de Mello Zunino23 Dec
        • Mysql-4.1.8 library name bugAndrey Kotrekhov23 Dec
          • Re: Mysql-4.1.8 library name bugJosh Trutwin23 Dec
            • Re: Mysql-4.1.8 library name bugAndrey Kotrekhov24 Dec