List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 13 1999 3:29pm
Subject:Re: Fw: mysql: problems with CGIs written in C and mysql
View as plain text
Tavaris Thomas wrote:
> Can anyone please advise?
> >I have since re-instralled a new version of MySQL 3.22.20a
> >and the compiler is egcs 1.1.2
> >Sun ULTRA 1 using Solaris 2.6
> >
> >I copied the file
> >
> >libmysqlclient.a (this is the client library file right?)
> >
> >into /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib
> >
> >Here is my new error when I compile (everything is on one line)
> >

> > gcc -I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -o test
> > test.c
> >
> >test.c: In function `main':
> >test.c:29: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> >Undefined                       first referenced
> > symbol                             in file
> >mysql_close                         /var/tmp/cc8KvfIk.o
> >mysql_real_connect                  /var/tmp/cc8KvfIk.o
> >mysql_init                          /var/tmp/cc8KvfIk.o
> >ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to test
> >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

You're almost there. You've told it where to look for the
libraries but not which libraries to search!

Adding "-lmysqlclient" [without the quotes] to the command
line should fix it.

Incidentally, I would fix the compiler warning also. It is a
policy of mine not to run any program unless it compiles 100%
cleanly with "all" compiler warnings enabled [-Wall].

I do this because it is far too easy to become complacent and

    "it doesn't matter, it's only a warning. If it was
     really important they would have made it an error"

If it's worth their while telling you about it it's worth
your while fixing it!

Hope this helps...

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Fw: mysql: problems with CGIs written in C and mysqlTavaris Thomas13 Apr
  • Re: Fw: mysql: problems with CGIs written in C and mysqlFred Read13 Apr