List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 13 1999 3:29pm
Subject:Re: Fw: mysql: problems with CGIs written in C and mysql
View as plain text
Tavaris Thomas wrote:

> Can anyone please advise?
>
> >I have since re-instralled a new version of MySQL 3.22.20a
> >and the compiler is egcs 1.1.2
> >Sun ULTRA 1 using Solaris 2.6
> >
> >I copied the file
> >
> >libmysqlclient.a (this is the client library file right?)
> >
> >into /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib
> >
> >Here is my new error when I compile (everything is on one line)
> >

> > gcc -I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -o test
> > test.c
> >
> >test.c: In function `main':
> >test.c:29: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> >Undefined                       first referenced
> > symbol                             in file
> >mysql_close                         /var/tmp/cc8KvfIk.o
> >mysql_real_connect                  /var/tmp/cc8KvfIk.o
> >mysql_init                          /var/tmp/cc8KvfIk.o
> >ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to test
> >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

You're almost there. You've told it where to look for the
libraries but not which libraries to search!

Adding "-lmysqlclient" [without the quotes] to the command
line should fix it.

Incidentally, I would fix the compiler warning also. It is a
policy of mine not to run any program unless it compiles 100%
cleanly with "all" compiler warnings enabled [-Wall].

I do this because it is far too easy to become complacent and
say:

    "it doesn't matter, it's only a warning. If it was
     really important they would have made it an error"

If it's worth their while telling you about it it's worth
your while fixing it!

Hope this helps...
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread