List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:December 17 2004 2:39pm
Subject:Re: What is the "default database"?
View as plain text
It's the one you're using at that moment.  That is, it's the one you don't
have to explicitly mention to access its tables.  If you connect with

   mysql [options] db1

or issue a

   USE db1

command, then db1 is the default database.

This is in the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/USE.html>.

Michael

Dr. Frank Ullrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I came across this term several times while reading about character set
> and collation handling, e.g. in the last paragraph of the online manual
> section 10.3.2 (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Charset-database.html):
> "
> The character set and collation for the default database are available
> as the values of the character_set_database and collation_database
> system variables. The server sets these variables whenever the default
> database changes. If there is no default database, the variables have
> the same value as the corresponding server-level variables,
> character_set_server and collation_server.
> "
>
> Also in the changes of version 4.1.8 in the "Functionality added or
> changed:" section the first entry reads:
> "
>      * For ALTER DATABASE, the database name now can be omitted to apply
>        the change to the default database.
> "
>
> I searched a while but could not find an explanation.
>
> So the question remains:
> what is the "default database"?
>
> Regards,
>    Frank.

Thread
What is the "default database"?Dr. Frank Ullrich17 Dec
  • Re: What is the "default database"?Gleb Paharenko17 Dec
    • Re: What is the "default database"?SGreen17 Dec
      • Re: What is the "default database"?Gleb Paharenko17 Dec
    • Re: What is the "default database"?Michael Stassen17 Dec
      • Re: What is the "default database"?Dr. Frank Ullrich20 Dec
  • Re: What is the "default database"?Michael Stassen17 Dec