List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:April 13 1999 3:21pm
Subject:Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)
View as plain text
> > I'm putting together a FAQ in my copious (haha!) free time - it
> > consists of the top 20 or 30 questions asked on the list in the
> > last month or so that have been answered in one sentence starting
> > with the phrase "in section XXX of the manual..."
>
> In my opinion, when you have documentation as good as we have,
> the best format for the MySQL FAQ would be a list of hypertext
> questions which link to the appropriate manual sections...

In my experience, telling someone to go read the manual has been an exercise
in futility - most people would rather be spoon-fed the answer rather than
take the 5 or 10 minutes it would take to look it up themselves.  So, in the
spirit of spoon-feeding Pablum to babies because they can't handle anything
stronger, my FAQ would list short, concise answers to questions, along with
links to the appropriate sections in the manual.

To be fair, sometimes people have bosses that come into their offices, ask a
complicated question, and expect instant answers.  This tends to panic
people, and so they post instead of taking a deep breath and reading.  Not
their fault - they simply have been trained to react that way.  So, this
document would serve two purposes - (1) to take a load off the list and
folks therein, and (2) to help lower the blood pressure and stress level of
people wo have morons for bosses. ;)
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG - erc@stripped - 9403672744@stripped for URGENT
messages only!

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path
whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless,
unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized;
nor should any organisation be formed to lead or to coerce people along any
particular path."  --J. Krishnamurti

Thread
How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
  • Re: Problem connecting to db in MySql from Java codeDavid Halsted15 Sep
Re: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • RE: How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
RE: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
    • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Jay Miller9 Apr
      • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
        • Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Thimble Smith9 Apr
Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)S. Whitmore10 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg10 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Michael Widenius11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPeter F. Brown11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)kalle volkov11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Steve Edberg11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
        • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels12 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois12 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Isabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualRichard Reina13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Vivek Khera14 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Micheal Mc Evoy13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp14 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)jonathan michaels15 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Darrell Shifflett15 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg12 Apr
  • More about my FAQ...S. Whitmore13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manualluuk13 Apr