List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Heikki Tuuri Date:December 3 2004 9:17pm
Subject:Re: if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops it
View as plain text
Mark,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Maunder" <mark@stripped>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 10:52 PM

> So what you're saying is that BINARY isn't binary because it chomps
> spaces off the end, thereby corrupting the binary data. Sounds like a
> bug. Should I report it?

it is in the TODO to implement a real VARCHAR to MySQL. That fix may also
fix the annoying  problem that MySQL removes trailing characters ASCII(32)
from the end of all strings, including a BINARY string. It is really
counterintuitive, I agree.

It does not hurt to report this as a bug at bugs.mysql.com. It could speed
up the fixing of this problem.

> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 12:30, Paul DuBois wrote:
>> I agree about using the TINYBLOB to avoid trailing space truncation, but
>> BINARY and VARBINARY are MySQL data types now.
>>
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/BINARY_VARBINARY.html

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/

Thread
if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops itMark Maunder3 Dec
  • Re: if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops itDan Nelson3 Dec
    • Re: if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops itMark Maunder3 Dec
    • Re: if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops itPaul DuBois3 Dec
      • Re: if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops itMark Maunder3 Dec
Re: if last binary byte is space (ascii 32) mysql drops itHeikki Tuuri3 Dec