List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:November 29 2004 10:09pm
Subject:Re: Heap Help
View as plain text
At 1:09 PM -0700 11/29/04, <gunmuse@stripped> wrote:
>I want to put a table in Ram (HEAP) with a field of at least 500
>characters.  I do I do this if Blob and text are not allowed?

The glib answer would be: you can't.

Two alternatives would be: (1) split your text field up into as many
char/varchar columns as necessary 9eg; text_part_1, text_part_2,
...), and then split/rejoin those columns programmatically; or, (2)
you might be able to losslessly compress or otherwise encode your
text such that it will fit into a char(255) or smaller column.

--
+--------------- my people are the people of the dessert, ---------------+
| Steve Edberg                                http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |