List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Frederik Lindberg Date:November 3 1999 1:05am
Subject:Re: long overdue
View as plain text
On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:15:00PM -0600, Michael L Smith wrote:
> I really don't think that the php list
> uses {PHP] because of a software issue, I think it's just because it makes it
> very convenient.
> I brought up this issue with HWG also but for some reason they
> are not wanting to do so.

FWIW - the PHP lists use the same software we do. I put the option of a
subject line prefix in the mailing list manager for the only reason it
is asked for: People are used to it. It works, but the whole idea is ugly.

You could in an earlier thread that was crossposted between the [PHP3] and the
[General] lists see how ugly it gets. It modifies a message in transit,
which violates E-mail stds, and it takes away valuable visible Subject
line space in most MUA. Since usually the votes are more or less 50:50,
it seems better to not do harm. IMHO, the PHP folks made the wrong decision.

There is a proposed standard, the 'List-ID' header. The advantage is that
it stays the same even when a list moves and it is guaranteed to be
globally (universally?;-) unique. The MySQL lists support this standard.
Sort mail into folders based on that header, and all mail from a given
list (and no other mail) will go to a given folder.
This includes admin messages.

Also, ask your MUA supplier to support rfc2369. With it, you get buttons,
[Follow-up] [New post] [help] [Subscribe] [Unsubscribe] whenever you
read a message from any MySQL list. Pegasus mail and sqwebmail support this.

--

-Sincerely, Fred

Fred Lindberg, Inf. Dis., WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA
Thread
long overduePaul Wagorn2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueScott Hess2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueBill Gerrard2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueVivek Khera2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueapocoliptica2 Nov
RE: long overdueschoon2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueRuben Safir2 Nov
  • RE: long overdueBill Gerrard2 Nov
Re: long overduePaul Wagorn2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueScott Hess2 Nov
  • Re[2]: long overdueStefan Schmiedl3 Nov
re: Long OverdueVictor Flores2 Nov
  • re: Long OverdueBill Gerrard2 Nov
Re: long overdueBill Gerrard2 Nov
RE: long overdueschoon2 Nov
RE: long overdueMichael L Smith2 Nov
  • Re: long overdueFrederik Lindberg3 Nov