List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:November 16 2004 3:49pm
Subject:Re: 4.1.7 insert locks killing me
View as plain text
In the last episode (Nov 16), matt_lists said:
> > Please see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/News-4.0.18.html :
> >
> > INSERT DELAYED ... SELECT ... could cause table corruption because
> > tables were not locked properly. This is now fixed by ignoring
> > DELAYED in this context. (Bug #1983)
> >
> > http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=1983
>
> Obviously I saw that, however here's my issue insert delayed works on
> insert values and on load data infile (concurrent) but why not in
> insert from select

Probably just what the bugreport says.  INSERT ... SELECTs don't have a
simple record source like INSERT VALUES() or LOAD DATA.  They're
pulling from another table, which requires table locks, and DELAYED
inserts apparently don't use true table locks.

> I view this as a showstopper on new projects, I dont want to dump my
> data to text and then load back into the database

Feel free to add another comment to bug 1983 (it looks like someone
added a similar comment back in January).  Also consider buying MySQL
support, which will give your requests a bit more weight.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped