List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Harald Fuchs Date:October 28 2004 9:17am
Subject:Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null records
View as plain text
In article <417D4B3E.6030009@stripped>,
matt_lists <matt_lists@stripped> writes:

> I cant tell if this is a bug or a feature.
> Select from table where col <> 'blah'

> I use this all the time with other databases, works great, gives me
> everything that's not "blah"

If those "other databases" return also NULL values, they're broken.

> but in mysql, it wont work if there's null records in the table

> I have to do this, select from table where ( col <> 'blah or isnull(col) )

Yes, of course.  "NULL <> 'blah'" returns NULL, and that's perfectly
standards-conformant.

Thread
bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsmatt_lists25 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsKeith Ivey25 Oct
    • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsSGreen25 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsPaul DuBois25 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsHarald Fuchs28 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsJigal van Hemert28 Oct
    • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null records(Pete Harlan)29 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsHarald Fuchs28 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsJigal van Hemert28 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsMartijn Tonies30 Oct
RE: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsJay Blanchard25 Oct